Monday, August 5, 2013

How to Get High

Thankfully, somewhere along the way, I've learned the true meaning of "high."  As cliche and cheesy as it might sound, it's true:  the natural high is, by far, the best high.

So how does one get this so-called "natural high"?  What is it?

One of the definitions on Urban Dictionary reads:  "Something that getz u really happy or feel like ur high without using drugz."

I personally like the phrase: Blissed Out.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, or it's just been a long, long time since you've felt this way, chances are you've been going about things the wrong way just a tad.

Let me help.  Here's what works for me:

Secrets to a Natural High
by Katie Rogers  

Source

1.  Eat well.  I consume smoothies and salads almost daily.  In fact, I'd say that, when I'm donig my best, my diet is about 75% raw, organic, fresh food (some days way less, and some days, I eat all raw!)
YUM! (source with recipe)

The rest of my diet mostly consists of "whole" or "real" food.   Basically, I stay away from meat entirely and processed stuff that passes for food.  Bottom line: when I'm eating extra-well, it sends me soaring!  I've also been taking some B vitamins, iodine drops (for a healthy thyroid), and adding spirulina and chia seeds to my smoothies lately -- definitely extra zing!
Source


2.  Exercise.  If you're not getting the oxygen flowing through your blood, it's going to be difficult to get high.  My personal favorite high-inducer:  YOGA!!!!!  Yoga, yoga, and more yoga.  Seriously, this is where I shoot out the roof! (Not always during the class, I admit -- sometimes!-- but afterwards, YES!)


Source
I'm obsessed.  It's absolutely a mind, body, spirit exercise.  If you've done yoga and didn't like it, try, try again until you've found the right teacher for you.  If you are a beginner, I recommend you go to a beginner's class, as you'll get the foundational elements to last you a lifetime.   If ever I'm resistant to going (which is rare these days, because who doesn't want to feel high?), I have a mantra:  "It's always a good idea to go to yoga."

Besides yoga, a good, long bike ride, a nice invigorating swim, the occasional jog, and a great hike are my other favorite ways to get the O2.  Options for exercise are endless:  find one or two you like, and do it as much as possible.

3.  Get enough sleep.  Finally!  I saw the Dalai Lama in 2005 and then I saw him again in May 2013.  Both times, he sang the praises of sleep as a key to happiness.  I'm finally taking this seriously.
Sleeping Beauty (source)
To promote the best sleep possible, my bedroom is feng shui'd with very little electronics (i.e. just my lights!).  I have a headboard for support.  There is nothing under my bed.  And I try my best not to get on the computer (or look at any sort of screen for that matter) past 8:30 or 9, as it's harder to fall asleep that way.  And I go to bed early!  Also, I've been taking more breaks -- naps are great -- throughout the day.

4.  Get outside.  I call nature the Great Healer.  Seriously.  Humans are designed to be in very tight relationship with nature.  I believe that trees and rivers and oceans are literally healing us as we "commune" with them.  Horticulture and pet therapy are VERY real things!

exercise, nature, time with friends and daughter = awesome


5.  Living MY Life.   I'm doing feng shui and I'm making a movie and I'm a mom to the best little girl in the whole world.
I love my job -- a client's floor plan + bagua 
In other words, I'm living my life's passions.  I have found my dream careers, and I am doing them!
CarLess in LA, the movie!  



And I tell my daughter I love her at least 15 times a day.  (I sort of made a vow to myself when she was born that I would do this.)  Reiki, art, writing, and trees are all part of my career path too, and it all ties together, but right now, I'm fully editing my film, and my feng shui career is flourishing...and so much fun.  And no, my life is not picture-perfect -- whose is?! -- but it's uniquely and beautifully mine.

6.  Fun, rest, & play.  I admire flowers on walks.  I go to the movies.  I pet the neighbor's dog.  I love my friends so I make time to hang out with them.  I spend as much quality time with my daughter as possible (key word being "quality").  I take the day off, and I take vacations.  I have a drink or two now or then.  I have my cake and eat it too, if I want it.  I laugh.  Look, if we didn't find pleasure in things, what would be the point of all the other stuff we do in life anyway?  HAVE FUN!  Chill out.  Right?

Not photoshopped one bit -- gorgeous, right?!



Now for the definite buzz kills:
1.  Hanging out with the wrong crowd.  (You really can get new friends.)
2.  Ignoring your soul's callings.  (You are alive on this planet for a reason -- find out what it is and do it.  We will thank you for it.)
3.  Being judgmental or worrying about being judged.  (So middle school.)
4. Caffeine.  (You're just going to crash and want #5 or a sleeping pill at night.)
5. Alcohol.  (You're just going to want caffeine, bad food, and Advil in the morning.)
6.  Sugar.  (Really is a drug.)
7.  Meat.  (Takes a lot of energy to digest, and that energy could be going to other things.  Plus, poor Wilbur.)
8.  Too much dairy.  (Slows us down.)
9.  Hating your life.  (If this last one applies to you, take the day off, make a vow to be really honest with yourself as you assess your life, and make the decision to move in a new direction.  Because hate is strong word and nobody's going to change your life for you, except for you.  Be bold!  Be courageous! Say some prayers, and make the leap.  Trust me -- many, many of us have been there too --- face the fear and see what happens.)

The point is:  we can use our own energy to fuel ourselves.  With the right mix of the good stuff, we can all be as high and happy as the Dalai Lama himself.  Okay, maybe not all the time, maybe not every day, BUT don't you WANT to feel good -- like, really, truly good?  (Just don't try too hard to get high-- that's a buzz kill too.)

a new painting I did for fun

After all, the only HAPPILY ever after is the one you're going to give to yourself.

No peer pressure though.




No comments: